Don’t waste windfall apples!
One of our members has written down his tips for juicing windfall apples
Banana, Chocolate Ice Cream – Lucy Robinson
3 very ripe bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen solid.
2 tablespoons cacao powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk (any sort of dairy or non-dairy milk)
Place the bananas, cacao and cinnamon in the food processor or blender and whizz together till very smooth and creamy. Add a little milk if needed to help everything blend together. Best eaten straight away.
Recipes for using up bread – Christine Ward
Here are some basic things you can do:
- breadcrumbs (for crunchy toppings, crispy coatings, binding burgers and meatballs, bread sauce for roast chicken)
- croutons (baked with olive oil and garlic for soups and Caesar salads)
- melba toast (crusts removed and thinly sliced and baked in a cool oven until crispy)
- French toast (dipped in beaten egg and fried in butter)
Then there are plenty of delicious recipes (mostly desserts) which use bread and many actually be better for using stale or old bread:
- Bread and butter pudding (sweet or savoury)
- Bread pudding
- Queen of Puddings
- Apple charlotte
- Brown betty
- Summer pudding
(If the bread is mouldy you can use your judgement as to whether to cut off the mould if it is only on some parts of the outside of an unsliced loaf.)