Sustainable Cottenham is a volunteer group of Cottenham residents, linked as a working group to Cottenham Parish Council.
Our aim is to encourage and help residents and businesses of Cottenham to make adjustments to their lifestyles and practices in order to improve the sustainability* of the village.
Our vision is for Cottenham to be a greener, cleaner and better place for current and future residents.
Our method is to identify opportunities for collective and individual actions to to reduce consumption of resources, and to enhance the community’s environment and health.
Our actions include:
- plastic free’ initiatives – to eliminate unnecessary single use plastics
- litter picks – to reduce environmental pollution and boost pride in our community
- cycle path maintenance – to encourage cycling and improve safety
- thermal imaging surveys (for heat loss) – to help residents understand whether their house insulation could be improved
- yard sales – to enable reuse of unwanted items
- we support our local repair café – to help extend the useful life of household goods
- we are currently looking into ways in which social cohesion can be enhanced e.g. by means of Time Banking
*The UN defines sustainability as ‘meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.’ Sustainability encompasses economic and social aspects as well as environmental.